Deploying a Culture of Excellence - Mobile Classroom
General Cable-Indianapolis Compounds,
Presenters: Buck Wright, Plant Manager;
Heather Stolper, Vice President Sourcing & Supply Chain
WEDNESDAY, MAY 7
12:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
12:30 p.m. - Session Briefing at in Indiana Convention Center
12:45 p.m. - Depart Center; Overview of Team Contributions
1:15 p.m. - Arrive General Cable, Indianapolis Compounds
1:15 p.m. - Safety Briefing; Presentation of Success Stories and Challenges
2:30 p.m. - Depart General Cable; Final Q&A on Motorcoach
3:30 p.m. - Return to Indiana Convention Center
This program combines an onsite tour and classroom discussion of continuous improvement as practiced at the Indianapolis Compounds facility of General Cable where Operational Excellence is the envisioned result of over a decade of continuous improvement. The strategy is designed to emphasize employee involvement in all aspects of the production process.
IndustryWeek Best Plants Finalist in 2006; IndustryWeek Best Plants 2007; selected as General Cable's 'Best Plant In North America' over 18 other facilities; President's Award for Lowest Incident Rate—no accidents or incidents of any kind over a four-year period.
• Transition from Central Control to Human Machine Interface (HMI) system at each station;
• Insights to the success of world class safety results that come from associate ownership and accountability including its balanced approach to eliminate unsafe conditions and eradicate at-risk behaviors;
• The Operator Led Process Control culture adopted in 2001 is used in its State-of-the-art BUSS and Banbury compounding operations and supported by Lean Sigma Program.
• Demonstration of practical Lean Kaizen event and Six Sigma Process capability project work;
• Quality assurance and predictive maintenance techniques;
• Hourly production associates are cross-trained in all production job classifications. Refresher training completed quarterly;
• A computerized maintenance management system (CMMS) used to schedule monthly preventive maintenance procedures.
Space is limited and preference will be given to full conference registrants. Participation is subject to approval from WAI and General Cable.