Wirenet Image Band
wirenet.org mobile image band
× If you have a question regarding coaxial, telephone, and building wire, power cable, insulation, extrusion, bunching, stranding, braiding, etc. post it here.

Polyurethene black paint for overhead conductors

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Archived Forum Admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 2 months ago #194 by Archived Forum Admin
Polyurethene black paint for overhead conductors was created by Archived Forum Admin
Some customers in my country are asking for bare ACSR overhead conductors with black polyurethene paint & confirming to iso 12944.
Can someone please throw some light on the technology involved and sources of material supply for manufacture of such conductors ?
Thanking you in anticipation

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 2 months ago #195 by Archived Forum Admin
Replied by Archived Forum Admin on topic Re: Polyurethene black paint for overhead conductors
Hello again Narendra,

Please check out this web page from Germany. There are two pdf data sheets that you can download as well. www.wiretec.eu/epconhot_high_temperature_conductor.htm

Now if you look at the bottom of the page and select "Coating of Conductors" you will find that they state "Our partner offers his patented color coating system for cooperation with conductor producers." but they don't mention who the "partner" is. This is done to increase thermal radiation from the cable but I am not sure about the absorption of the sun's thermal radiation in a tropical country like yours. Studies and technical reports are definitely needed. I imagine you will have to contact Wiretec at www.wiretec.eu/empindex.htm to get the paint and other technical information. Be sure to reference the ISO 12944 specification.

Aluminum zirconium alloys can be drawn on conventional aluminum drawing machines. One manufacturer of aluminum- zirconium alloy wire rod is Lamifil n.v. in Belgium www.lamifil.be/index.php/lamifil_en/ (English Version) The trick is however is to stop the steel from sagging by the heat generated and this limits the additional current. The true solution of course was invented and patented by 3M. (ACCR) a few years back. They use a high temperature conductor and high temperature, high strength aluminum-orientated ceramic core wire. solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/EMD_ACCR/ACCR_Home/ As I understand it, they have over 1,000 miles up in the air now, including an installation by TATA Power in Mumbai. I cannot tell you more about 3M ACCR however because I am bound by a secrecy agreement.

Best regards
Peter J. Stewart-Hay
Principal
Stewart-Hay Associates
www.Stewart-Hay.com
519 641- 3212

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 2 months ago #196 by Archived Forum Admin
Replied by Archived Forum Admin on topic Re: Polyurethene black paint for overhead conductors
Thanks Peter....in fact I had already e mailed to that Austria based German company twice but, for some reasons, they have not responded.
Thanks again
With best regards,
ngkotecha

naren kotecha

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 2 months ago #197 by Archived Forum Admin
It is my experience that some European companies do not check their E-mail inbox daily. Some hardly check their E-mail at all.

It may be worth a fax, telegram or phone call to get their attention.

I did modify my response above slightly so you might want to re-read it.

Best regards
Peter J. Stewart-Hay
Principal
Stewart-Hay Associates
www.Stewart-Hay.com
519 641- 3212

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 2 months ago #198 by Archived Forum Admin
Thanks Peter..I will try faxing them
with best regards

naren kotecha

Moderators: Erik A MacsPeter J Stewart-Hay
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds

Gallery

Contact us

The Wire Association Int.

71 Bradley Road, Suite 9

Madison, CT 06443-2662

P: (203) 453-2777