Wirenet Image Band
wirenet.org mobile image band
× If you have a question regarding coaxial, telephone, and building wire, power cable, insulation, extrusion, bunching, stranding, braiding, etc. post it here.

Non-insulated crimper for insultaed terminals?

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Archived Forum Admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 2 months ago #645 by Archived Forum Admin
Non-insulated crimper for insultaed terminals? was created by Archived Forum Admin
Hey, I've been searching for this answer all day and can't seem to find it anywhere. Im hoping someone here can help me.

Is there an issue with using a non insulated crimper on insulated connectors/lugs. I just bought a new pair of linesman pliers with a crimper for non-insulated connectors built in. I tried this out on an insulated connector and it seemed to work great though. Should I be using a non-insulated crimper for some reason, or can I just carry this tool?? Thanks so much.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Archived Forum Admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 2 months ago #646 by Archived Forum Admin
Replied by Archived Forum Admin on topic Re: Non-insulated crimper for insultaed terminals?
Hello medic1985,

This would be my opinion re your question:

- A crimper designed for non-insulated connectors or lugs just may impart a higher crimping stress than a crimper designed for (plastic/ rubber) insulated connectors or lugs.

- The net result could be that some insulations may be damaged (crushed or cracked) if the wrong tool is used and thus the dielectric strength of the insulation may be comprimised,

I would therefore recommend that you always use the properly designed crimper for the connectors or lugs that you are using.

Sincerely,

Peter J. Stewart-Hay
Principal
Stewart-Hay Associates
www.Stewart-Hay.com

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: Erik A MacsPeter J Stewart-Hay
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds

Gallery

Contact us

The Wire Association Int.

71 Bradley Road, Suite 9