Wirenet Image Band
wirenet.org mobile image band
× Questions concerning iron and steel, steel making, rod rolling, galvanizing, springs, nails, fencing, and patenting go here.

Capstan angle

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Archived Forum Admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #1125 by Archived Forum Admin
Capstan angle was created by Archived Forum Admin
Someone can help me about the recommended angle at a drawing capstan. I have heard about is used to be 2 angles trough the capstan surface to improve the wire level and increase the cooling of the wire
thank you

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #1126 by Archived Forum Admin
Replied by Archived Forum Admin on topic Re: Capstan angle
Hi there,

Could you please be a little more clear and a lot more precise with your question? We are not sure we understand it as it is written now.

Are you talking about something like a taper on a drawing machine capstan?

Are you talking about the angle and distance from the centerline of a capstan surface to the upstream and downstream die holders?

Kindest regards,

Peter Stewart-Hay
Principal
Stewart-Hay Associates
www.Stewart-Hay.com

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #1127 by Archived Forum Admin
Hello there,
normally you have ½ -degree angle for all wet capstan on so-called tandem drawing machines. The dry capstan or rather pull-out-capstan doesn't have any angle and is straight cylindrical.
Lately you also find so-called bi-conical capstan for rod break down machines. The purpose here is that you can turn them around after you get wear grooves. They have a ½-degree angle, too.
The angle has to do with the slip and the wire alignment inside your wet drawing machine. It prevents wire crossovers, what very important on today’s multi-wire machines.
The taper on the capstan has nothing to do with wire temperature.

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #1128 by Archived Forum Admin
thank you for your answer, I have several dry drawing lines, and I have made some trials with different angles. the idea as you know is to improve the wire temperature increasing the wire height in the capstan. For now I have better results with 1° instead of 0.5°
I´m going to continue making test about it

Regards

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #1129 by Archived Forum Admin
It is very important to know what material you are drawing.

If the cooling of the drawing machine is right you do not need to have much hight in your blocks .

The entrance angle has to do with preventing the waps of the wire to mount one to other, the hight of the wire in the block can be adjusted in the drawing machine as desire.

Plese confirm the material you are drawing

Eduardo Anaya
Senior Consultant
INDEPA S.C.
Mexico City
Tel(011-52)555-407-7451
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #1130 by Archived Forum Admin
I had this thread moved over to the Ferrous section from the Nonferrous section because Wire's second entry included this partial sentence:

" I have several dry drawing lines, and I have made some trials with different angles. The idea as you know is to improve the wire temperature increasing the wire height in the capstan."

This seems to be a thread that belongs in the Ferrous section. RWW and I were both trying to help or understand Wire's situation in a nonferrous context because that is where it was posted!

If it is indeed a nonferrous situation then Wire should have explained that he was using dry drawing machines which of course is not the norm.

It is important that your questions be posted in the proper section with the full information so that the proper answers are given.

Our personal thanks to RWW for his very good response to the question in his belief that it was a nonferrous, wet drawing machine.

Thank you

Peter Stewart-Hay

Moderators: Peter J Stewart-HayEduardo AnayaPeter M Power
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds

Gallery

Contact us

The Wire Association Int.

71 Bradley Road, Suite 9

Madison, CT 06443-2662

P: (203) 453-2777