Search - Forums
Search - Finance/Stocks
Search - Newsfeeds

jobcenterbanner

FacebookLinkedinPinterestYoutube
Welcome, Guest

Tension in steel cable stranding
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Questions concerning iron and steel, steel making, rod rolling, galvanizing, springs, nails, fencing, and patenting go here.

TOPIC: Tension in steel cable stranding

Re: Tension in steel cable stranding 2 years, 3 months ago #1152

Hello there,

Generally it takes a long time, a fair amount of experimentation and effort to create a process manual of the type that you are requesting.

Most wire and cable manufacturers see this as intellectual property belonging to the company and therefore it is usually not for sale at any price.

If an engineer, technician or operator absconded with that information when he/ she left that company, it would obviously be perceived as theft. This is something I suspect you are aware of already by using the fake company name of Tycsa.

I would be surprised if anyone or any company is going to give you the information you are looking for. Perhaps you can buy it but I suggest you start building the standards and compile the data for your plant yourself. In this way you will learn a lot more and have much appreciation for the information you have gathered and compiled. Start by getting your senior's approval for this project.

Regards
Peter J. Stewart-Hay
Principal
Stewart-Hay Associates
www.Stewart-Hay.com
519 641-3212

WAI Forums Moderator

Re: Tension in steel cable stranding 2 years, 3 months ago #1153

Thanks Peter for your answer.

Really I think, at minimum, that the information was inside a handbook or there were theoretical studies about this.

But the truth is, nobody seems to know anything or is keeping it private.

All this began when I saw a tension range recommended inside a machines´s handbook, and I have seen it with other tensions, outside of the first range and the stranded cable was perfect. Then I asked how is this possible? How can the machinery manufacturers know the parameters of the process without a cable manufacturer behind them?

I think that this became an a affair philosophy, and I only want formulas or numbers.

Best regards and thanks for trying hard to understand my poor English.

Re: Tension in steel cable stranding 2 years, 3 months ago #1154

Jordibg,

Sometimes the people that know the most about a machine are those that have been operating them for years. There are always guys that only want numbers and formulas and there are always guys that can run machines and make the wire that is needed that do not have the education to understand why they make certain adjustments or machine settings. They only know that they are doing what needs to be done. Since you seem to be the new guy, what you need to do is spend time observing until you have a good understanding of the process and the equipment. The machines may be 40 years old but so what? they were used to make good wire 40 years ago and should be able to do same today. Sure modern equipment with all of the bells and whistles are nice, but...

Once you have spent time on the floor, learning the process and equipment, you will probably find that the operators will be more willing to share info. Then you can make your own "notebook".

Re: Tension in steel cable stranding 2 years, 3 months ago #1155

Hello again jordibg,

Often, when a reliable wire machinery manufacturer (Such as Cortinovis Machinery, Queins & Co. GmbH or in the old days, Stolberger.) develops a new machine, it is done in concert with some cable company that ultimately ends up with a very low capital cost for the new machine. In other words, they work together.

I also looked in the WAI's abstract search for something appropriate but I could not locate anything. Then again, my specialties are nonferrous and electrical so my steel wire and cable knowledge is sparse to say the least.

Good luck with your search.

Regards
Peter J. Stewart-Hay
Principal
Stewart-Hay Associates
www.Stewart-Hay.com
519 641-3212

Re: Tension in steel cable stranding 2 years, 3 months ago #1156

Thanks for try to help me, but I think that I am in a no way out.

The machine's manufacturer have got a guide line (probably more theoretic than practical) and the operator works under his own experience. There are two ways and one intersection, but nothing more.

Like your assumption, I only want a connection between both.

I come from the engineering department (machine manufacturer) for 8 years, and now, I have to visit a cable manufacturer. I've learned that the guide lines are not always are the solution, probably never.
Best regards.

Re: Tension in steel cable stranding 2 years, 3 months ago #1157

OK I understand you don't have the handbook for your machine. Old machines rarely doing this is not what I am talking about. This link will lead you to the book I mentioned. Any good machine set-up person should have this book. It can answer a lot of questions for you.

www.amazon.com/Machinerys-Handbook-Tool-...256170306&sr=1-6
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds