Wirenet Image Band
wirenet.org mobile image band
× Questions concerning iron and steel, steel making, rod rolling, galvanizing, springs, nails, fencing, and patenting go here.

New dies "seating"

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Archived Forum Admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #1192 by Archived Forum Admin
New dies "seating" was created by Archived Forum Admin
Dear All,
after changing the whole die set, our drawing mill operators reduce the speed since, according to them, the dies need "to be seat". Probably that´s true, or maybe it´s just a myth.
I´ll very much appreciate your comments on this subject.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #1193 by Archived Forum Admin
Replied by Archived Forum Admin on topic Re: New dies "seating"
Rudolf,
I have heard the same thing a few times at my factory as well from the " wire drawing expert operators ". My opinion, BS. If you are using correct dies,the dies have the right geometry,the right lubricant,the right line speed, ect a new die set in you're draw machine is optimal. If you have to wait for "operator induced die seating BS" you have a problem.
That's just my opinion though.Can you prove it ? Of course you can. Try different things out like highly polished dies or a different draft or maybe even a slightly different die geometry and run that baby at full speed.
I've been wrong before but I call BS.

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #1194 by Archived Forum Admin
Hi tech1,
I thank you very much for your suggestions.
I´ll try to come back with my results.
Regards.

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #1195 by Archived Forum Admin
I don't know if it is the same thing but I remember hearing our metalurgist (previous employer long time ago) say that the wire would be better lubricated once the "die ring " began to form. Something about the lubricant rolling back better and forming a lubricant ring in the die. We did not run the machine at reduced speed. probably not valid but how do you know?

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #1196 by Archived Forum Admin
Spectre,
There is way you can prove this theory. I have read of this and have never tried it but, the test seems to be pretty much common sense.
From what I have read,
A bench test "single die" wire drawing machine was set up with a tension guage after the die and before the capstan along with an amp meter connected to the drive capstan to show how much force is needed to (1) power the drive motor (2) tension created to pull the wire through the die. This in turn measured the force it took to pull the wire through the die.
Now, generally speaking if you wanted to see which types of lubricant, draft, speed , and die geometry would be the ideal combination, this bench test would serve you well but, if you wanted to prove out the "die seating or wear ring makes better lubrication in the die" this test would definitly do it for you.

Anyway,
it would be nice to hear if Rudolf has any feedback to this story.

Moderators: Peter J Stewart-HayEduardo AnayaPeter M Power
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds

Gallery

Contact us

The Wire Association Int.

71 Bradley Road, Suite 9

Madison, CT 06443-2662

P: (203) 453-2777