Wirenet Image Band
wirenet.org mobile image band
× Questions concerning iron and steel, steel making, rod rolling, galvanizing, springs, nails, fencing, and patenting go here.

Material for wiping excess zinc during galvanizing

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Archived Forum Admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #857 by Archived Forum Admin
Material for wiping excess zinc during galvanizing was created by Archived Forum Admin
Hello,

I am hoping that you guys will be able to give me an advice on the following.

My company is currently implementing wire galvanizing process and I am responsible for the process. I have designed and built the process pretty much from scratch and most of the steps seem to be working. However I got stuck with the excess zinc wiping. According to the sources I have come across, the most conventional way to wipe the excess zinc is using asbestos fabric, there is usually no more info provided. I have run tests with different heat resistant fabrics (up to 1200 degrees C but not containing asbestos because of health issues) but none of them seem to work very well. The finish is ok at the beginning (~100 metres) but then fabric seems to start burning (huh?) and ashes start coming out as a result of which the finish is very poor.

I am hoping that you could suggest a material that is the most being used in industry (suppliers?) and also the type of mechanical part of the wipes. In my design I was thinking of simply having the wire covered with fabric from two sides and then squeezed together inbetween two metal plates with adjustable force (think of sandwich).

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #858 by Archived Forum Admin
Replied by Archived Forum Admin on topic Re: Material for wiping excess zinc during galvanizing
Hello,

If you go to the WAI Virtual Trade Show ( www.wirenet.org/vts/vts_search.cfm ) and select "galvanizing equipment" under "Products(s)" and then press the "Submit Query" button, you will obtain a list of 46 companies.

If you press the button "View details" for any particular supplier, you get a separate page for that supplier and generally, a link to their web site.

In this way, you can quickly search for/ or correspond with those companies you would like to discuss your requirement with in more detail.

This is a little more work than a snap answer but hopefully this will get you a truly optimized solution.

Regards
Peter J. Stewart-Hay
Principal
Stewart-Hay Associates
www.Stewart-Hay.com
519 641-3212

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #859 by Archived Forum Admin
Replied by Archived Forum Admin on topic Re: Material for wiping excess zinc during galvanizing
Professional Wipping Systems can be obtain from the major companies in the field:

QED Wire Lines Inc. (Canada) www.qedwire.com
FIB Belgium www.fib.be

Home made solutions can work , with an effective design of the trade where the wippes are located together with an effective cooling with running water into the wire and wippes.

Eduardo Anaya
Senior Consultant
INDEPA S.C.
Mexico City
Tel(011-52)555-407-7451
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Moderators: Peter J Stewart-HayEduardo AnayaPeter M Power
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds

Gallery

Contact us

The Wire Association Int.

71 Bradley Road, Suite 9

Madison, CT 06443-2662

P: (203) 453-2777