Wirenet Image Band
wirenet.org mobile image band
× Nonferrous topics such as copper and aluminum, annealing, etc. go here.

Torsion Test

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Archived Forum Admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #1380 by Archived Forum Admin
Replied by Archived Forum Admin on topic Re: Torsion Test
In addition to bar/casting problems there might be a problem with the copper cathode, copper scrap, etc. that is fed into the melting pot.

torsion testing info can be found by ordering the following

Abstract Details:

ID: 4096
Title: A New Concept in the Evaluation of the 10 X 10 Twist Test for Copper Rod
Authors: Robert L. Hamill and Sharon K. Young, Magma Copper Co., USA.
Description: This paper will discuss the value of the twist test as a process control tool and as a test to determine copper rod surface quality. The changes in twist test equipment, procedures and the evaluation of test results over the last 20 years at Magma Copper Company will be discussed. The discussion will include the evolution of the twist test starting with the 10 turn forward and 10 turn reverse test, improved testing equipment, and several variations to the standard 10 X 10 twist test such as the 3-die twist test and the 35 turn twist test on break down wire.
Location: Paper presented at WAI Joint Regional Mtg., Charleston, SC USA. Paper published in Wire Journal International, May 1992, pg. 51.
Year: 1991

www.wirenet.org/technical/abstract/Abs_Detail.cfm?ID=4096

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #1373 by Archived Forum Admin
Hello again Copper,

We note from your public profile that you are a Process Engineer in a copper rod mill.

Your question today was discussed with "kishor" two weeks ago on the 21 of July (Thread No. www.wirenet.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=12&Topic=720 ) . By IP Number, we also note that you and "kishor" are working in the same small country and I imagine that you both work for the same company. That is because, to my understanding, there is only one rod mill in the entire country.

Since you work for a copper rod mill, surely you have metallurgists on staff that you can discuss basic copper properties and testing in great detail with. Likewise, I am sure that you have a very good engineering faculty in a nearby university. If there is no metallurgical engineering department to discuss basic copper properties and testing with, I bet there are metallurgical engineers on staff in the mechanical engineering department.

The university bookstore may also sell one or two metallurgical engineering textbooks that may well enhance your company's technical library. Moreover non-specific torsion testing discussions may indeed be found in a second year mechanical engineering "Strength of Materials" textbook.

Your company still appears to seriously need a technical library ASAP. This has been mentioned twice before to you and once before to "kishor"

Regards
Peter J. Stewart-Hay
Principal
Stewart-Hay Associates
www.Stewart-Hay.com
519 641-3212

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #1374 by Archived Forum Admin
Many years ago there was an article in the Wire Journal regarding SouthWire using this test to grade rod. You might be able to get a copy for reference purposes.

richard

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #1375 by Archived Forum Admin
Dear Sir,

Thank you for the information.can you please tell me where and how i can get this ?

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #1376 by Archived Forum Admin
Hello again,

1) - Go to the WAI Abstract Search section.
2) - Type in Copper Rod in the description.
3) - Search - There are 84 abstracts available.
4) - Review the abstract detail and order what you want by following the appropriate link.

www.wirenet.org/technical/abstract/abstract.cfm

Regards
Peter J. Stewart-Hay
Principal
Stewart-Hay Associates
www.Stewart-Hay.com
519 641-3212

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #1377 by Archived Forum Admin
I am currently on tour in India, and by no means is it a small country. In my current 3 weeks I will be travelling close to 15,000kms in the country ( not counting the 25,000 to get there and back) and will be visiting 8 of the 9 copper rod plants in India as part of our product and technical support to our customers.
Im not sure which plant "copper" is at, if the moderator can help?
But 25 x 25 twist test return to failure is a one of the indicators of rod quality and in the most part low twist results are a indicator of bar / casting problems.

Regards
Lawrie White
RichardsApex AustralAsia

Moderators: Erik A MacsPeter J Stewart-Hay
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds

Gallery

Contact us

The Wire Association Int.

71 Bradley Road, Suite 9

Madison, CT 06443-2662

P: (203) 453-2777