Wirenet Image Band
wirenet.org mobile image band
× Nonferrous topics such as copper and aluminum, annealing, etc. go here.

PH control

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Archived Forum Admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #1428 by Archived Forum Admin
PH control was created by Archived Forum Admin
Can anyone help me with pH control? What level should the pH of drawing fluid of copper be kept at? What effects does this have on the wire produced, and dies? We are having copper fines on the wire as it is being insulated on a tandem line.

Thanks,
Copper

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #1429 by Archived Forum Admin
Replied by Archived Forum Admin on topic Re: PH control
Hello Copperhead,

I am out of my office until next week so my reference books are not nearby. I can however immediately tell you that you should be discussing the issue of pH first with your drawing lubricant supplier. The quality of your water can as well be an issue in so far as sticky copper fines are concerned.

I also suggest that you immediately purchase the following books from The Wire Association International, Inc. for your library.

Nonferrous Wire Handbook set www.wirenet.org/waistore/productdetail.cfm?productid=12

Regards
Peter J. Stewart-Hay
Principal
Stewart-Hay Associates
www.Stewart-Hay.com

UPDATE
The Nonferrous Wire Handbook Volume 3 states that the pH should be maintained between 8.0 and 9.5 when drawing copper wire. The balance of the information you requested is discussed in this handbook but should also be available from your drawing lubricant supplier.

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #1430 by Archived Forum Admin
Replied by Archived Forum Admin on topic Re: PH control
Tandem lines are different than the typical drawing line. You can play with the pH and all of those things and it may make a difference, however a couple of years ago we found that the best solution was to go to a type of drawing oil. Unfortuntately I do not remember the name or supplier. I do know that when out of the barrel it was clear like mineral oil. I also know that if there are any pin holes in your machine it will find a way to leak out. It seemed like it could leak from the tightest seals. It was used at Trenton and Laurinburg. Anyone that worked at those places and remembers the product sign in let us know.

rb

Moderators: Erik A MacsPeter J Stewart-Hay
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds

Gallery

Contact us

The Wire Association Int.

71 Bradley Road, Suite 9

Madison, CT 06443-2662

P: (203) 453-2777