Search - Forums
Search - Finance/Stocks
Search - Newsfeeds

jobcenterbanner

FacebookLinkedinPinterestYoutube
Welcome, Guest

resistance annealing of brass fine wire
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Nonferrous topics such as copper and aluminum, annealing, etc. go here.
  • Page:

TOPIC: resistance annealing of brass fine wire

Re: resistance annealing of brass fine wire 2 years, 3 months ago #1526

Moderators Note

0.1 mm is slightly smaller than 38 AWG
0.3 mm is slightly smaller than 28 1/2 AWG

Spectre, our rule of thumb was that anything smaller than 26 AWG (0.0159") was fine wire and that anything smaller than 38 AWG was ultra-fine wire. You may or may not agree of course with those definitions.

Sincerely,
Peter J. Stewart-Hay
Principal
Stewart-Hay Associates
www.Stewart-Hay.com

Re: resistance annealing of brass fine wire 2 years, 3 months ago #1527

Hello Again Kamkat,

I am not so sure that your problem is so very different from that in the referenced thread.

Your problems seem to be :

1) Varying tensile strength or temper.
2) Varying springiness of the product which is again varying tensile strength or temper.

Your problem seems to be in your resistance annealer for one or more of many reasons. I am not even sure that resistance annealing is the actual recommended method for full or partial annealing of brass wire. You may indeed be on a very sharp slope portion of the graph of the temper vs annealing speed for any particular amperage and gauge size.

How much experience do you have in this process anyway?

What kind of resistance annealer do you have? Make and model please.

What does your annealer manual say the differential speeds should be for copper across the preheat and 2 annealing sheaves and at what speed is this to be set up at?

I still think you should be talking with Niehoff and SAMP. Now.

Sincerely,
Peter J. Stewart-Hay
Principal
Stewart-Hay Associates
www.Stewart-Hay.com

Re: resistance annealing of brass fine wire 2 years, 3 months ago #1528

Re Moderators Note Above

Peter,

It obviously varies with manufacturer. At one time PD called anything smaller than about 28 or 30 awg fine wire. When at GCC we processed from about .150 x .660 and as small as 44 awg. We had a large wire dept.; bigger than about 20 awg, intermediate which was about 21-31, and fine wire which was 32 to 44 awg. At Hudson we did not enamel anything bigger than about 15 awg but fine wire was from about 32 to 44 or 45. These we sold by the pound. Ultra fine was 46 to about 55 and we sold it by the gram!

rb

Re: resistance annealing of brass fine wire 2 years, 3 months ago #1529

Moderators Note #2

Kamkat wanted to speak with me privately for sales and marketing reasons plus to tell me privately about their present circumstance and experience. After a bit of technical banter, the problem appears to be resolved. While I am personally dead set against private communication because nobody else learns, I hope you will understand and appreciate this exception.

As it turned out, the problem seems to be the differential surface speed settings on the resistance annealer sheaves. Moreover their brass resistance annealer is somewhat different from a copper resistance annealer in its power (annealing) circuitry.

This thread is therefore probably finished unless Kamkat wants to add some additional information or provide confirmation that the problem is definitely resolved.

Sincerely,
Peter J. Stewart-Hay
Principal
Stewart-Hay Associates
www.Stewart-Hay.com

Re: resistance annealing of brass fine wire 2 years, 3 months ago #1530

Hi Peter,

Yes ,we are working with the information we got. Let's hope this resolves our problem.

Thanks.

kamal
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds