Search - Forums
Search - Finance/Stocks
Search - Newsfeeds

jobcenterbanner

FacebookLinkedinPinterestYoutube
Welcome, Guest

Cleaning of copper wire
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Nonferrous topics such as copper and aluminum, annealing, etc. go here.

TOPIC: Cleaning of copper wire

Re: Cleaning of copper wire 2 years, 3 months ago #1627

I think that most any way of cleaning the wire would be better long term than acid washing. I based this upon a problem a customer had several years ago that was perplexing at best. The wire 46 AWG with a polyester bondable material was being put into circuit boards that were going into F16's. Under microscopic examination the copper was corroding/oxidizing and you could actually see green colored copper oxide. Since this appeared to be starting at the conductor and "growing" until it damaged the insulation, it took a lot of work trying to discover what was causing the insulation to fail and the copper to oxide. Since the wire was used to form the circuits on the board, insulation failure typically fried other devices or circuits.

Eventually it was discovered that the boards were wound by female employees. When it was that time of the month there was a chemical/pH change in the body/finger oils. When someone's fingers touched the wire, it left a thin layer of body oil. When the wire was embedded in the board the oil was encased and sealed into the board coating where it continued to work on the wire. Eventually the insulation was breached and the oils then attacked the conductor. Eventually there was a failure and it occurred in about one year. Sound unreal but it happened.

I could see the opposite here. You are cleaning the wire with acid. Nothing was said about washing it off, If the acid is not removed, would it continue to react with the copper and perhaps the insulation?

Long story to ask that question.

Spectre

Re: Cleaning of copper wire 2 years, 3 months ago #1628

Thanks for all of the info!!! As Spectre mentioned, I forgot to mention that we wash the wire after the acid baths and then dry it, before taking up on a spool. I thought that would be implied, sorry. We have tried the Boockmann system. It was great for the removing course dirt. But it did not get the suface clean and a bright finish on the wire. The problem with the Plasma systems is the heat that is applied to the wire. This is superconductor wire and too much heat will change the properties of the conductor. Has anyone heard of success with ultrasonic system? Again thanks for the responses.

Re: Cleaning of copper wire 2 years, 3 months ago #1629

Hi MarkC,

Plasma can be used for cleaning only as well. There always will be some heat transferred into the conductor. We have run superconductors on Plasma. If you let me know what the temperature limit and line speed for your operation is I can provide you with a definite response if Plasma can be used in your application or not.
You might want to send this data directly to my e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Best Regards,

Willy Hauer
www.Howarequipment.com

Re: Cleaning of copper wire 2 years, 3 months ago #1630

Here are some other options:

Perhaps one of these companies can help you by modifying a unit for fine wire.

www.dynapowerinc.com/ DynaPower Inc.

www.geo-reinigungstechnik.de/index.php?article_id=1&clang=1 GEO-Reinigungstechnik GmbH

www.vaporblast.com/ (Liquid Honing) Vapor Blast Manufacturing Company

If you rinse the wire with water, make sure the water is fresh, distilled water and that you are wiping with CLEAN and DRY compressed air.

Sincerely,
Peter J. Stewart-Hay
Principal
Stewart-Hay Associates
www.Stewart-Hay.com

Re: Cleaning of copper wire 2 years, 3 months ago #1631

Ultrasonic cleaners have and are used on enamelling systems insulating aluminum.

I've been a process engineer and a plant manager and we have insulated tons of wire (when you consider the small AWGs there have been millions of feet) with Formvar. We have done everything from less than single build to quad build from 50 AWG to large shapes such as rounds, squares, and rectangulars up to .150 x .660. We have coated shaved rod, dip form, and various types of unshaved rod.

If you are worried about heating the wire too much what are your limits? Like I have said in earlier posting when inline drawing, the preannealer was used primarily to clean the wire. I really think in your case a small tube annealer with some steam would probably adequately clean your wire. If your wire surface is copper, I just do not see why you are having this problem.

richard

Re: Cleaning of copper wire 2 years, 3 months ago #1632

Mark, I run a manufacturing operation that uses drawn copper wire and am interesed in speaking with you about your line of products. Can you please contanct me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ?
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds