Wirenet Image Band
wirenet.org mobile image band
× Nonferrous topics such as copper and aluminum, annealing, etc. go here.

Rhodium Wire

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Archived Forum Admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 2 months ago #1669 by Archived Forum Admin
Rhodium Wire was created by Archived Forum Admin
I'm looking for information or someone who can help me mfg Rhodium wire. I've been able to hot forge and hot roll it. But not draw rhodium wire. I need to make .006" dia. Thanks if you can help.

Ray Renteria

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Archived Forum Admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
12 years 2 months ago #1670 by Archived Forum Admin
Replied by Archived Forum Admin on topic Re: Rhodium Wire
Hello Ray,

Are you sure that rhodium can indeed be cold drawn effectively? It would seem to me that you would be dealing with a very low elongation drawing operation at quite slow speeds. Even then I am not clear on the number of drawing passes you would be able to make. It would also seem to me to be quite experimental in nature. Moreover there are some hazards as described below.

From the Nature Publishing Group www.nature.com/nature/journal/v183/n4661/abs/183599a0.html

"Ductility of Rhodium"
ALTHOUGH rhodium is a face-centered cubic metal which should possess numerous planes and directions of slip it is, at room temperature, an extremely difficult metal to form into strip and wire. Usually rhodium is hot-worked, the working temperature being gradually reduced during successive stages until the metal develops a fibrous structure, when at thin gauges it can be subjected to moderate cold-working operations."

I imagine you are well familiar with the dangers of working with rhodium if dust begins to gather in the workplace. A wet drawing process will create dust.

Rhodium Powder/Dust
Prevention
Always prevent the dispersion or accumulation of dust. Wet before collecting dust to prevent airborne particles. NO open flames, NO sparks, and NO smoking.

Inhalation
Symptom - Cough - Require good local explosion proof exhaust or breathing protection.
Skin
No symptoms - Wear protective gloves.
Eyes
Symptom - Redness - Wear safety goggles.
Ingestion
Do not eat, smoke or drink during work. Wash hands before eating.
Work Environment
Explosion-proof electrical equipment, exhaust systems and lighting.
Accidental Dust Spillage
Sweep spilled substance into covered containers. Moisten first to prevent dusting. Carefully collect the remainder, then remove to safe place. Personal protection - P2 filter respirator for harmful particles.
Other Important Data
Chemical dangers
Dust reacts violently with halogens causing a fire hazard. Rhodium is a catalytic substance and may cause a reaction in contact with many organic and inorganic substances, causing fire and explosion hazard. Finely dispersed particles form explosive mixtures in air.
Occupational exposure limits
TLV: 1.0 mg/m³ as TWA; A4 (not classifiable as a human carcinogen); (ACGIH 2004). MAK: Carcinogen category: 3B; (DFG 2004).
Inhalation risk
A harmful concentration of airborne particles can be reached quickly when dispersed.
Effects of short-term exposure
May cause some mechanical irritation.
Environmental Issues
None presently known but many studies are underway.

Sincerely,
Peter J. Stewart-Hay
Principal
Stewart-Hay Associates
www.Stewart-Hay.com

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: Erik A MacsPeter J Stewart-Hay
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds

Gallery

Contact us

The Wire Association Int.

71 Bradley Road, Suite 9