Wirenet Image Band
wirenet.org mobile image band
× Nonferrous topics such as copper and aluminum, annealing, etc. go here.

Double Twist crossover problems

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Archived Forum Admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
11 years 7 months ago #1740 by Archived Forum Admin
Double Twist crossover problems was created by Archived Forum Admin
Greetings,

We've been running our Godderidge double twist bunching machine for a few months now and we can't seem to be able to keep the wires from crossing over. It is a setup with 7 Aluminum wire, each has a diameter of 1.3mm.

I've looked through this forum and found out about the closing die which did not come with the machine. We had to make our own which could be the problem here.

Could someone point me to a picture of a closing die so that our engineers can come up with something.

Meanwhile, I will look into our tensioner and if someone has a tip or two; I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Pari

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Archived Forum Admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
11 years 7 months ago #1741 by Archived Forum Admin
Replied by Archived Forum Admin on topic Re: Double Twist crossover problems
Hello again fuhrerwire,

Unfortunately you haven't given us sufficient information to FULLY resolve your problem.

Even though double twist bunchers are a little more difficult quality wise than single twist bunchers, a construction or 1/6 should be a snap.

I am not sure if this machine has a twist assist device to move the second twist up onto the bow. but assuming that your problem is at the first twist (Outside the bows.), the first thing is to look at the closing die. All wires should close smoothly and never with the closing cones being forced. Thus the closing angle of the die should match the natural closing cone angle of the six wires. The bearing on the die should be about one length of lay or pitch of the stranded conductor at this point(Twice the final conductor pitch.) or say 5 mm, whichever is smaller. There should also be no jerking of the wires from the pay-offs. The six wires should all have the same tension and the tension of the center wire should be higher to allow this wire to slide back when the second twist is done. (The six wires clock around the center wire.) The center wire turns about its own axis but the other six wires need more length because of the second helix. This pulls extra length of the center conductor into the strand and as always noted, must be pulled back out.

Another way the wires can become crossed is when stopping or starting in the middle of a length. I will not go into this now because we don't know your issue but there is a fix.

Regards
Peter J. Stewart-Hay
Principal
Stewart-Hay Associates
www.Stewart-Hay.com
519 641- 3212

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: Erik A MacsPeter J Stewart-Hay
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds

Gallery

Contact us

The Wire Association Int.