Wirenet Image Band
wirenet.org mobile image band
× Have a question on lubricants, wire drawing, quality, testing, ISO, environmental? Post your question here to get the answer!

Llubrication of enamelled copper wires

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Archived Forum Admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
11 years 3 months ago #1843 by Archived Forum Admin
Replied by Archived Forum Admin on topic Re: Llubrication of enamelled copper wires
Please note the following:

( 1) White Gas is a distillate of petroleum and is also called petroleum naphtha. It is commonly used in backpacking stoves.
(2) "Isopar" is a trade name belonging to Exxon. The exact type of alcohol has not been disclosed but again it is a flammable liquid.
(3)The Wire Association International, Inc. does not endorse or recommend the use of flammable, explosive or other chemically dangerous fluids in wire and cable plants.

Regards,

Peter Stewart-Hay
Principal
Stewart-Hay Associates
www.Stewart-Hay.com

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
11 years 3 months ago #1844 by Archived Forum Admin
Replied by Archived Forum Admin on topic Re: Llubrication of enamelled copper wires
I did say that it was an extremely dangerous process. I did not give any directions for making it.

I understand the often need for a disclaimer about endorsing "the use of flammable, explosive or other chemically dangerous fluids in wire and cable plants."

Magnet wire (enamelling, winding, etc.) plants utitize a material generically called enamel which may be polyvinyl, polurethane, polyester, nylon and other materials which are manufactured with aromatic hydrocarbon solvents which are also added to control viscosity. These materials are applied to wire as it maked multiple passes through a drying oven. Thpically the solvents evaporate and are burned in the oven by either a catalysts or incinerator and the heat is reused in the oven. Enamel varies from 10 to 70% solids and the remaining materials are solvents.

Aromatic hydrocarbons are by nature flammable, can be explosive,and can be dangerous when handled improperly. It is not unusual for any plant to have similar materials. Magnet wire plants however often have thousands of gallons of it on hand because it is a a primary raw material. A rough rule of thumb is that for every 100 pounds of enamelling wire approximately 1 gallon of enamel was used and approximately half of that would be some type of solvent.

Since you said "The Wire Association International, Inc. does not endorse or recommend the use of flammable, explosive or other chemically dangerous fluids in wire and cable plants." does that mean you don't recognize the magnet wire industry as a part of the wire and cable industry?

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
11 years 3 months ago #1845 by Archived Forum Admin
Spectre,
You seem to know magnet wire well. I would like to also add that other lubricants besides waxes can be added to coated magnet wires as well without harming the coatings.I would like to remind everyone that not all magnet wire coating lines use catylist to burn emissions and in some cases lubricants are blended into insulation,top coats, and or self bonding layers for different applications. One of the leading magnet wire manufacturer of the world blends special lubricants into their self bonding layers. There is a very easy (and safe) way to blend in you're (standard wax) into a coating. "Wax melts"
The main reason for blending is to prevent contamination of foreign material and superior control of lubrication on conductor.

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
11 years 3 months ago #1846 by Archived Forum Admin
Hello,
You are right - not all enamelling ovens utilize catalsyts. Some are gas fired. In order to meet most air p[ollution regs. in the USA, thermal oxidizing ovens must have 1/5 second of dwell time at 1400+F degrees. Catalsyts have less dwell time since most of them are only 3 to 5 inches thick and the operating temperature can be as low as 700 - 800F. Thenew elecricallay heated catalytic ovens operate at temperatures that are closer to 600 - 700 degrees C. Personally I think that is a little too high.

Enamels can have additives that decrease friction, improve cut through, and other values. The problem is that they must be compatible with the process. Additives such as tin, antimony, titanium,silicone, etc are detrimental to catalsyts and can shorten the operating life of the catalyst.

I will be glad to share any info I have regarding catalysts that I can.

Richard Burke
Spectre Engineering Inc
fax 1-423-875-4413
call 1-423-266-3667
email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Moderators: Erik A MacsPeter J Stewart-Hay
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds

Gallery

Contact us

The Wire Association Int.

71 Bradley Road, Suite 9

Madison, CT 06443-2662

P: (203) 453-2777