Wirenet Image Band
wirenet.org mobile image band
× Have a question on lubricants, wire drawing, quality, testing, ISO, environmental? Post your question here to get the answer!

Diamond drawing dies

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Archived Forum Admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
11 years 3 months ago #1910 by Archived Forum Admin
Diamond drawing dies was created by Archived Forum Admin
To All..

is there a formula,program or chart for determining the correct bearing lenghth needed for any given die size. I have one for Tungsten carbides, wondering if this program works with the smaller Diamond dies.

Thanks for any help.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
11 years 3 months ago #1911 by Archived Forum Admin
Replied by Archived Forum Admin on topic Re: Diamond drawing dies
Hi there subaru585,

As you no doubt know, the bearing on a drawing die is there to preserve the die size in light of wear on the front face and to allow a worn die to be re-polished without always changing the die size. The bearing also validates the wire diameter.

The length of the bearing however significantly adds to the mechanical stress in the wire by friction or drag and this is especially true of polycrystalline dies. Thus the length of the bearing is always kept at a reasonable minimum.

As I recall, historically in the late 1970's, Philips polycrystalline dies (PCD) recommended the bearing of their dies should vary between 0.2 and 0.4 times the die diameter for soft materials such as copper and aluminum and 0.3 and 0.5 times the die diameter for hard materials such as steel.

On the other hand, the WAI Nonferrous Wire Handbook (1981) suggests a die can have a bearing length of close to 0.5 times the wire diameter for soft materials and up to 1 times the wire diameter for hard materials. (We assume this applies to standard drawing dies made from carbide and solid diamond.) Further it suggests that the bearing should be between 0.15 times and 0.25 times the die diameter for polycrystalline dies and that is much less than the older Philips recommendation above.

I am personally not aware however of any algorithm for calculating bearing for carbide, polycrystalline or solid diamond dies and wire die companies may consider this as confidential or proprietary information or “know how”.

You might wish to check with your new die supplier and with the company that made your die polishing machinery to see what they say.

Hopefully others will have more to add to this thread.

Kindest regards,
Peter J. Stewart-Hay
Principal
Stewart-Hay Associates
www.Stewart-Hay.com

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
11 years 3 months ago #1912 by Archived Forum Admin
I use 0,35/0,50 of diameter for dry drawing and 0,50/0,80 of diameter for wet drawing for steel wire.
There is no problem on drawing. However you should choose die entrance angle correctly.
Best regards.

Murat

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
11 years 3 months ago #1913 by Archived Forum Admin
Can you please share that program with me?
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Thanks

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
11 years 3 months ago #1914 by Archived Forum Admin
The program I use is the Meeting Point Calculation from Fort Wayne Wire Die, If you go to their website you can get a referance manual which contains the formula and many others.
Website FWWD.com

Moderators: Erik A MacsPeter J Stewart-Hay
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds

Gallery

Contact us

The Wire Association Int.

71 Bradley Road, Suite 9

Madison, CT 06443-2662

P: (203) 453-2777