Wirenet Image Band
wirenet.org mobile image band
× Have a question on lubricants, wire drawing, quality, testing, ISO, environmental? Post your question here to get the answer!

Insulation Pumping and Visc. Control

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Archived Forum Admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
11 years 3 months ago #2175 by Archived Forum Admin
Replied by Archived Forum Admin on topic Re: Insulation Pumping and Visc. Control
MarkC. Information below is for a paper I wrote in 1996. I think that there were pictures of applicators in it but I don't remember and don't have a copy of article close by.
All you have to do is go to abstracts and put in Burke as author and submit. You will get a couple of responses.

ID: 3600
Title: Current trends in wire enamelng systems
Authors: Richard E. Burke, Spectre Engineering, USA.
Description: The magnet wire industry has undergone many changes during the last decade. A review of some of the changes is presented. Quality demands, improvements in basic materials, process controls and magnet wire systems are all detailed. The effects of wire quality and how it relates to equipment design, productivity, energy consumption and pollution control are covered.
Location: Paper presented at WAI 66th Annual Convention, Charlotte, NC USA. Paper published in Wire Journal International, Nov. 1997, pg. 86.
Year: 1996

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
11 years 3 months ago #2176 by Archived Forum Admin
Replied by Archived Forum Admin on topic Re: Insulation Pumping and Visc. Control
MarkC. You can have a pipe with one end machined so that it will fit into your drain hole. If you mahine a hole in the side at the height/depth you need the excess enamel will spill over and go down the drain. Ideally I would prefer to regulate the pump so that the overflow would be minimal. In other words, you pump into the applicator per hour approximately the same amount that you consume per hour.

You can add filter system. You have to have a spun filter that is not disolved or affected by the solvents.

Controlling viscosity is important but a lot less important with a die applicator. One of the best controls of viscosity is controlling the temperature of the enamel. I would keep a lid on my tank so that the solvents cannot readily eveporate + formvar is hydroscopic and will adsorb water from the air and that may be as big a problem as the viscosity. Formvar does not have a lot of solids so changes in viscosity are not that great if you make an effort to control temperature.

Viscosity controllers come in various types. One of the oldest used a balanced (#2 Brookfield?) cup with a drain hole. enamel was pumped into the cup until it moved and tripped a solenoid shutting off the enamel flow. the cup would drain. A timer in the circuit would be set for a time that related to the desired viscosity. If the timer kicked off before the cup drained, a shot of solvent went into the tank. the longer it took for the cup to drain, the bigger the shot of solvent.

There are certainly much more sophisticated devices.

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
11 years 3 months ago #2177 by Archived Forum Admin
Thank you for that response. I will look for the paper you wrote. Do you have any idea what kind of pump people use? Gear, piston, vane, etc. Thanks

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
11 years 3 months ago #2178 by Archived Forum Admin
I will attempt to increase the timeout on the forums to help with your issue with long posts.. sorry for the inconvenience.

Charles M. Szymaszek
Manager of Information Technology
The Wire Association International, Inc.

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
11 years 3 months ago #2179 by Archived Forum Admin
Mark,
A lot of people participate in the forums because they enjoy the interaction and sharing of knowledge and experience. At some point in time, the person looking for information needs to either take whats been provided and do some work of his own or provide a consulting contract to someone. Some experience and knowledge is hard earned; Some times you need a consulting contract to obtaing more of it.

Moderators: Erik A MacsPeter J Stewart-Hay
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds

Gallery

Contact us

The Wire Association Int.

71 Bradley Road, Suite 9

Madison, CT 06443-2662

P: (203) 453-2777