Wirenet Image Band
wirenet.org mobile image band
× If you have a question regarding coaxial, telephone, and building wire, power cable, insulation, extrusion, bunching, stranding, braiding, etc. post it here.

Cat 6 cable with fiber / hybrid.

• Mr Thomas M McCaffery
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 1 week ago #2947 by Mr Thomas M McCaffery
Cat 6 cable with fiber / hybrid. was created by Mr Thomas M McCaffery
I recently saw a sample of a cat 6 wire with 2 fibers in it and thought it was pretty interesting.
Thought about the applications for future and dont know how I can find more on this.
Anyone else see this? Thoughts??

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #2948 by Peter J Stewart-Hay
Replied by Peter J Stewart-Hay on topic Cat 6 cable with fiber / hybrid.
Hi Thomas,

I have fiber feeds into my house but the optical signal is converted into a digital electronic signal and fully distributed inside the house with CAT 6 cable (Internet, 2 Television circuits - 195 channels, 3 Telephone circuits). The fiber cable outside is strictly optical and is buried. It is fed directly from a heated pedestal in front of my house and then onward to a very large node about 3/4 mile away. I cannot see the requirement for fiber distribution inside the house. In an industrial building, the fiber cable can routed to a central exchange or distribution point inside the building. Then CAT 6 cable could be used.

A CAT 6 cable containing two optical fibers should be a fairly simple thing to manufacture for indoor use so long as the fibers are well protected (Fully mechanically insulated.) from micro-bending (Signal attenuation.) by the insulated wires and that the cable is carefully installed to eliminate sharp bends and over tension. These issues will will also result in fiber signal attenuation.

An outside fiber drop wire is much more complicated because there is a temperature - attenuation window that must be addressed and the fibers must be properly protected from bending and vibration. A CAT 6 cable is not required.

Regards,
Peter J. Stewart-Hay Principal
Stewart-Hay Associates
www.Stewart-Hay.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by Peter J Stewart-Hay.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: Erik A MacsPeter J Stewart-Hay
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds

Gallery

Contact us

The Wire Association Int.

71 Bradley Road, Suite 9

Madison, CT 06443-2662

P: (203) 453-2777