Wirenet Image Band
wirenet.org mobile image band

Wire Journal News

September 18, 2018

Bekaert to close plant in Costa Rica

Written by
Rate this item
(1 Vote)

Citing a high cost basis and pricing pressure, Bekaert announced that it will close Bekaert Costa Rica SA plant in Orotina, Costa Rica, which manufactures Dramix® steel fiber, which will continue to be offered from other Bekaert plants.

A press release said that Costa Rica Bekaert currently employs 147 people in two legal entities in Orotina: Bekaert Costa Rica SA (64 people) and BIA Alambres Costa Rica SA (83 people). The Bekaert Costa Rica SA entity manufactures Dramix steel fibers for concrete reinforcement while BIA Alambres Costa Rica SA produces steel wire products for agricultural fencing and construction markets. Both entities belong to the same partnership in which the Bekaert Ideal Holding—an 80/20 partnership between Bekaert and its Ecuadorian partners, represented by members of the Kohn family—holds 73% of the shares and ArcelorMittal the remaining 27%.

Management has informed the employees about the decision, and plans to offer a transfer for 20 part-time employees to its sister plant.

The plant was opened in 2014.

Read 185 times
 

Contact us

The Wire Association Int.

71 Bradley Road, Suite 9

Madison, CT 06433-2662

P: (203) 453-2777